I am so pumped because next weekend is Father’s Day. I am neither a man nor a parent, so I am absolutely a weirdo when I say this. I am being totally selfish here. I am ridiculously jealous of fathers on this day.

Think about it. On Mother’s Day, you get flowers and maybe chocolates. Flowers are cliché and I don’t really love them all that much. Also, restaurants are super packed on Mother’s day which is annoying when you are not a mom and just want to eat. I find it sort of sad that these people cannot for ONE day cook for their wife/mom/grandmom. (This is a generalization. Statistically, even in families where both parents work, the women still cooks dinner and takes on more household work than her male counterpart. That being said, I understand there are many many daddies out there who are excellent cooks. So don’t get all worked up, and go cook for your lady. Right. Now.)

The only cool thing about Mother’s day is that it involves my mom. Party and drinks.

Dads totally get better crap on Father’s day. They get cool things like watches. I want a watch, what the heck. Okay so the tie thing probably not an amazing gift to receive but it is still more practical and useful than flowers.

Dads get to go golfing. WTF. Golf is way better than a hallmark card.

Dads get yummy meals made for them that involve awesomeness such as beer, bacon, steak, breakfast, burgers, awesome, awesome, awesome.

I totally wish they could rename Father’s day to Jasmin day, so I can get steak and eggs in bed. No, call it: “Party like a Father on Father’s Day.”

With a 6-pack or beer, or vodka and sodas. Or both. Then I would get a cool watch, and proceed to play golf or beirut. Both of which I completely suck at (although I can hit the ball almost perfectly straight, I only hit it about 15 feet out) , but still enjoy thoroughly. Okay, so beirut and vodka with sodas aren’t super dad-like. But still.

For this father’s day I made golf ball cake pops. The cake is a beer cake (just go with it), mixed with a beer and bacon frosting. It is so kick ass.

Here is what you need:

For Cake,

1 ¼ cups of cake flour

2 eggs

3 tablespoons of butter

-a dash of salt

1 cup of light brown sugar

- 1 teaspoon of baking powder

-1 bottle or can of beer (Don’t get something super watered down. It will make the cake too wet.

½ teaspoon of baking soda

-bacon (Nature’s greatest miracle)

For Frosting,

¼ cup of butter

2 ¼ cup of confectioner’s (powdered) sugar

4-5 tablespoons of beer

For Pops,

white chocolate

green candy or chocolate dye (available in arts and craft stores or baking supply stores)

- either fondant mixed with blue coloring, or airheads (I prefer fondant, but for the sake of making this easy and minimize steps, I will use airheads. The flavor is blueberry, which could be too sweet with the white chocolate and cake, so by all means mae or buy fondant for a more “grown-up taste).

Materials

-mini cupcake liners

-clean thing paint brush or toothpicks

- lollipop sticks

golf ball lollipop mold (You can purchase online here
or here)

UPDATE!!!:  You don’t HAVE to buy the molds.. You can always dip the cake pops in white chocolate, which works fine. It just won’t have the round indents. At the end of the day Dad will be wowed either way, and everyone will still be able to tell it is a golf ball thanks to the tee and grass. The molds are not expensive, and you can use them as gifts for any golf  lover at any time of the year too. Whichever route you choose, they will impress for sure.

*The cake pop concept is not my own. I adapted it to create ones that look like golf balls. Bakeralla is the inventor of cake pops, and I have provided a link to her site at the bottom of the post.

First, we need the cake. Grab your cake ingredients.

golf ball cake pops, Beer, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour, eggs, and butter, bacon, father's, day, cake, pops, beer, cake, 1, fine, cookie, cupcake, stuffed, strawberries

Cream butter and brown sugar in a mixer.

golf ball cake pops, Cream butter and bwon sugar in a mixer

Add eggs one at a time, until mixed.

golf ball cake pops

Mix dry ingredients together. Pour in ¼ of the dry ingredients and mix. Then, pour in some of the beer and mix.

Continue alternating until all ingredients are mixed in.

Bake at 325° until a toothpick comes out clean. This depends on the beer you use. Mine took about 45 minutes.

Allow cake to cool and in the meantime, prepare your frosting ingredients.

Powdered sugar, beer, butter, bacon, golf ball cake pops,

Notice the bacon in the photo. Don’t add to the frosting. Add it into the cake when you mix everything together to make the pops.

Cream the butter and  about a quarter of your sugar.

cream butter and sugar in a mixer cake pops golf balls, golf ball cakes pops,

Then, just as you did with the cake, alternatively add some beer and then sugar. If it seems to wet, then add more powdered sugar. If it is too dry, then add more beer.

Alternate mixing beer and sugar into frosting, golf ball cakes pops,

Once everything is cooled, crumble the cake. Mix in the frosting, a little at a time until it is moist but not too wet. Throw in the bacon as well.

Mold into little round balls that will fit inside the molds, but still leave space for the chocolate.

Once they are chilled grab your golf ball lollipop mold and lollipop sticks.

Golf ball lollipop molds and lollipop sticks, golf ball cakes pops,

Push sticks into the cake balls. Melt white chocolate in 10-15 second increments in the microwave, stirring in between. Spoon a little chocolate into the molds, then place cake ball inside. Press cake ball down so it is in firmly.

golf ball cakes pops,

If the chocolate does not reach the top of the mold, then remove cake pop and add a little more. If it is too much, then use a wet paper towel to skim off the excess that has popped over the top of the mold. Once fully dry, carefully remove pops. Melt more chocolate and place the other exposed side in.

This is optional but I used a clean, thin paintbrush to wipe off the excess bit that pops out. This is a paintbrush I only use for food. Not paint.

Use paintbrush to clean off excess chocolate golf ball cake pop, golf ball cakes pops,

Once they are all dry, take out blue airheads or blue fondant. If you ae using airheads, melt in microwave for about 10 seconds. Tear in half and mold under the golf ball so that it looks like a golf tee.

golf ball cakes pops, Use airheads or fondant to makegolf tees golf ball cake pops how to make tutorial father's day

Again, I think fondant tastes better but this works as a nice little shortcut.

For the grass, melt some white chocolate with green candy/chocolate dye. You can melt in microwave in 15 second increments, or create a double boiler. I provide resources on how to create a double boiler in this recipe, if you do not know how.

Spoon a little chocolate into each cupcake liner. Fill the green chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag, and snip a very thin hole on one of the bottom corners. Use it to pipe little grass blades up the sides of the cupcake liners.

Pipe green chocolate out of a bag into cupcake liners

Once the chocolate on the bottom is hardening, I use a lollipop stick to poke a hole in the center.

Once they are dry, I slide the pops onto the grass. You may need to use the tip of a knife to break the hole open a little.

Slide pops onto grass, golf ball cakes pops,

Then melt a bit of green chocolate in the microwave, and use a paintbrush or toothpick to plug up (or secure) the hole in the grass.

This helps the grass stay on the lollipop stick.

That’s it! Dad will be so psyched, you have no idea. It’s cake. It’s beer. It’s bacon. Golf. What more could you want?

Golf ball cake pops 1 strawberry stuffed cupcakes father's day, golf ball cakes pops,

I was tempted to take one of these and knock a few around on the grass. Didn’t want to hit a car, though, living in the city and all.

NOTE: The concept of a cake pop was created by Bakerella. If you want to make a simple, round pop then please visit her site. She is the messiah of cake pops, as far as the world is concerned.

****If you are considering posting up photos or ideas from this or any other posts I am truly happy that you are excited and find my recipes interesting enough to share with others. Please see copyright standards in the footer (bottom).

Tagged with:

67 Responses to Golf Ball Cake Pops, The Original. Made with Beer Cake and Beer & Bacon Frosting. A great gift for Father’s Day, golf lovers, bachelors, and me.

1. Hanne says:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

2. LaDonna says:

My husband is an avid golfer! I am so going to make these for him to share with all of the guys! They will love it! Thanks for sharing!

3. Heather says:

ok girl, we will go to the golfing range, grab a drink, hit balls straight and short, and bring these amazing cake pops- looove them

4. SO CUTE, as always! I might make something similar to this for Father’s Day, except switch from golf balls to billiards balls!

5. Suzie says:

Is father’s day really this weekend?!! I thought it was later, and now I’m thinking I need to hurry up and go shopping!

• Jasmin says:

@Suzie.. No no typed without checking. It is next weekend, I meant. Sorry I will fix it now, but it’s always a good idea to go shopping ahead of time ;)

6. These are supper cute! Hey I have to step in to defend those dad’s who do cook – there are quite a few out there you know.

7. What an amazing idea!! Wish I had those golf molds, I would break these out right now!

8. Victoria says:

I love these!! They’re so cute and fun, I posted it up on my blog today! Come check it out: http://vixenmade.blogspot.com/2011/06/fathers-day-frenzy.html

9. Very cool!!
    LOve that u used air heads :)
    The grass is adorable!

10. Eftychia says:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!!!!!

11. These are so neat-great job! What a tasty little treat- they would be such a hit at a sporting goods trade show. So glad I am a follower of your blog!

12. Victoria says:

I hadn’t thought of candy molds, this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

13. Shumaila says:

This is so perfect for father’s day! Wish I had those molds to get the desired effect. My dad is a golf nut and would have loved these!

• Jasmin says:

@ Erin @ Shamaloia.. Thanks so much! I know it is annoying to have to buy something, but they aren’t too pricey and I provided links for ordering them. There is still time! Amazon delivers quite promptly!

Also, if you wanted to, you could always just dip them in white chocolate. The tee and grass will make it obvious as to what it is. Trust me, they will be too wowed to worry about little indents in the golf balls ;)

14. Jenn Post says:

quick question for you…the mold is only for half the golf ball, how did you make them into spheres??? I really want to do this for the hubby, I have made cake pops before but never used molds for anything so this will be my first foray into the unknown! thank you!
    Jenn Post

• Jasmin says:

@ Jenn, I let it dry on one side. Then I carefully remove the pops from the mold. I melt more white chocolate and spoon in a little bit. Then I place the cake pop back in, with the cake exposed side going into the mold. So the half that was already molded is on the top now. Does this make sense? You have to do one side, let it dry and then turn it onto the other side. You casically have to fill the mold with chocolate twice to get both sides covered with white chocolate. Let me know if you have any other questions.

15. Amanda says:

Wow, that’s so cool!

16. That’s so clever! They look fabulous!

17. Nicole says:

You’re insane! That’s incredible.. Props, woman.

18. Lauren says:

This sounds amazing! I love your recipes!

19. Maria Matter says:

oh this is just too fun!!!

Amazing creation Jasmin!

20. Vicki says:

Thanks for the great idea. This helps more than you know!!

21. Colleen says:

FUN fun fun, will have to give these a try for Farmer’s Market on Saturday. Thanks for the fab idea !!

22. Jenn Post says:

did you have to do anything to the mold for it to release once the candy is set??? I am working on it now, first set didnt come out so nicely ( didnt pop out cleanly…broke in half.the lil golf balls without sticks actually came out better than the ones with sticks for some reason…) I think I need to let it set up longer, I may try to put the mold into the freezer for a few seconds to make sure it is set properly before popping them out next time. thanks for the paint brush tip, I totally forgot about that! glad I came back to check in…let you know how this next set comes out!
    JP

• Jasmin says:

@ Jenn, so sorry I was out and about allll day! It came out with very delicate wiggling. Make sure the mold is totally clean and dry. Also, it could be a humidity or temperature thing? Either too warm to too cool in the air. Another problem could be that you didn’t let it totally 100% dry. I left mine for quite some time. I really only had one crack out of the bunch that I did, so it is hard to say. Make sure the chocolate coats the entire inside of the mold, and maybe have your cake rolled into even balls and placed in the middle. What kind of chocolate did you use too? Maybe candy melts versus white chocolate could work more in your favor.. I also let a little chocolate come into the stick part too so not sure if that helps.

Let me know how it turns out!
      PS.. you can twitter me too 1finecookie

23. Joey says:

Wow, what a great post! Good work :)

24. so cute yet guy-friendly! wonderful job & great tutorial!

25. Heidi says:

Those are freaking brilliant!

26. […] you ASAP – and these are similar to the golf ball pops I will make! I found them here and 1 Fine cookie has perfect golf ball pops (with a […]

27. Miss Cuisine says:

It’s a great fun realisation. I put a link to your article on my french blog.

28. Mary Gammon Hightower says:

How soon ahead can these be done? Would love to do them for my son’s golf-themed rehearsal dinner as favors, but don’t want to be fussing with them right before the event. Thanks!!

• Jasmin says:

@ Mary, you can absolutely make them in advance since the chocolate preserves the cake once dipped. Maybe a well if placed in airtight containers.

29. Ashlea says:

Is it possible to use icing and let it get cold in the fridge, rather than white chocolate candy? I’m cooking for picky eaters and they won’t eat the candy.

• Jasmin says:

@ ashlea, try the frosting. Once the pop is covered in frosting, place in fridge and cool until it is firm and does not stick to your fingers when you press on it. Use wax paper or parchment and press onto frosting to smooth it out and make it more round. Then, press mold on each side to create the imprints. Just be aware that as the frosting begins to warm to room temp it won’t be “moldable” and will begin to stick. Place bag in fridge to firm up again shOuld this happen. Butter based frostings will work best with this technique. It is certainly not as easy as chocolate but doable if you are patient.

You might want to consider making fondant, if they will eat that. Good luck. May the force be with you.

30. Sara says:

Can I use All purpose flour for this recipe….Will it still be 1 1/4 cup

• Jasmin says:

@ sara, the cake texture and weight will be different, but yes you ultimately can. Measure out the same amount of flour, then remove 5 tablespoons.

31. Luanne McCallister says:

These are adorable! Never thought of using my candy molds. What size cake pan did you use to bake the cake?

• Jasmin says:

@luanne, I just used a few cupcakes. If you only want to make about 6, uses few cupcakes. If you want more use a round cake pan. If you are making them for a larger event then bake a sheet cake. A little cake goes a long way.

32. These turned out perfect! Thanks for sharing~

33. Cindy says:

Ingredients shows 1 tsp of baking powder 2 times. It really takes 2 tsps or is this a misprint? Plan to make theses for Father’s Day—- so cute!
    Thanks

34. Ren says:

What size stick did you use for your mold?

35. kellie says:

AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing :)

36. Lacey says:

What brand white chocolate did you use? Did you add any oil etc to it to thin the chocolate out once melting? I’ve always used candy melts and have never used regular chocolate

• Jasmin says:

@lacey, I tend to use god quality, but a middle shelf brand such as Ghirardelli works great. I sometimes may add a splash of vegetable oil or paramount crystals to thin and smooth it out. since this is for a mold, I did not use anything in this case, but it really depends on how we’ll your white chocolate has melted.

37. Kristen says:

These are awesome! I am getting ready to make some next week. Just curious how long you have to leave them in the molds to dry? Trying to figure out how much time it is going to take me to make 3 doz of these. :-) Thanks!

@kristen,
      Thanks! I cannot give you an accurate time for he chocolate hardening as it is totally dependent on the indoor temp, weather, and how much you heat up the chocolate. That being said, mine up in the Northeat probably took no longer than5 minutes max. I would ask you how long would a heaping tablespoon of melted chocolate take to harden in your kitchen? That would answer for you specifically. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

38. Kristen says:

Thank you so much!!!! When you used the airheads did you tear them longways or in half? Thanks! I am attempting to make these and am a little nervous :-)

39. Kristen says:

For those in this picture did you use the fondant or the airheads?

40. Kristen says:

Sorry one last question. As I am making these tonight. Did you spoon the candy coating in the mold and spread around into the mold. Or did you just spoon into the bottom and when you pushed the cake pop in there it spread it out? Does that make sense?

@Kristen,
      No worries. Ask away. I scooped a bit in then pushed the cake pop in to spread it. Then used a paintbrush to wipe off excess chocolate that spilled out over the top edge of the mold. So I did the second of the two you asked. Hope this helps.

41. Kristen says:

Did you put them in the freezer to dry in the molds? I can’t seem to get my cake pops out without breaking :-(

• Jasmin says:

@kristen, did you refrigerate the cake pops prior and if so for how long? If they are very cold and you don’t give them time to warm up closer to room temp then the cake will expand in the mold and cause the pop to get stuck. Either that or it’s too warm in your kitchen/the weather and the chocolate is not hardening enough. Then yes, I would place the mold in the fridge or even freezer. It wouldnt hurt to turn the temp down a little. Feel free to email if you need. Jasmin@1finecookie.com

42. […]  Golf Ball Cake Pops {Edible Craft} ~ These golf balls are actually a yummy cake pop.  Check out the tutorial to crate the ball, […]

43. […]  Golf Ball Cake Pops {Edible Craft} ~ These golf balls are actually a yummy cake pop.  Check out the tutorial to create the ball, […]

44. […] 86. Golf ball cake pops from 1 Fine Cookie […]