Last week I presented one technique for making edible LEGO’s.

I suggest you check out that post as well if you are a lover of
LEGO’s, by clicking here.

After seeing the complex and intricate statues in Minnesota, I did
a little research on what else has been done with LEGO’s. There is some pretty
interesting stuff out there.

I’d like to call this scary LEGO Palin. Almost as scary as
centipedes.

Remember how I described the LEGO people brainstorming in a meeting
room? Ha.

Woah… Wait! The tires are NOT LEGO’s. What a sham.

I talked about LEGO’s and Star Wars coming together. Religion and
LEGO’s? Let us pray- to LEGO. I would be such a devout Legonian.

Haha look how freaked out they are. That sucks.

LEGO fail. They actually tried to sell this once. Half medieval,
half modern day. Those crazy French time travelers.

BAHAHAHAHAH homeless LEGO.

For all of you ladies out there, some designer glued a bunch of LEGO’s to stilettos. How couture.

It looks like this person may have cheated a little and used glue on the cupcake liners.

I concur. If someone carried one of these signs at every war protest, global violence and hostility would cease to exist. No joke.

Okay, so I saved my favorite for last.

There is this guy, who some sort of LEGO artist. His name is Matt De Lanoy, or Pepa Quinn if you are checking out his Flikr photos.

He creates amazing work, but I was most excited to see this:

Arrested Development. Shut the front door.

He he.

Lindsay and Tobias, my favorite. This guy is simply amazing.

Go see Matt’s other creations here, or you can purchase some of his custom made LEGO characters here.

Today’s recipe is for those who hate making cake pops, or consider themselves a little less skilled in the kitchen. These are much easier LEGO’s to make, however, they do require a mold.

Here is what you need for LEGO cake bites (or cake truffles),

a baked cake

- frosting

- either white chocolate with oil candy coloring, or candy melts

- toothpicks

- a mold..

This is the mold that you need. It is actually an ice cube tray, and yes, I do make my drinks with LEGO ice cubes.

LEGO ice cube mold

You can purchase your own Lego ice bricks tray by clicking here.

Or just Google, ‘LEGO ice cube tray.’ It might be annoying to buy a mold, but keep in mind that convenience usually costs money. This mold will make this easy enough for just about anyone to make these. Once you see the results, you will understand.

Begin by mixing crumbled up cake and frosting together. You want the mixture to be wet enough so that it holds together, but not wet enough so that it sticks to your hands. Ewe.

Press mold onto cake

Roll the cake mixture onto a piece of wax paper until it is flat ane even. Press the mold onto the cake, resulting in rectangular outlines.

cut out little rectangles

Cut out the rectangles. Keep in mind that they need to fit into the mold cavities with excess space around each side, so trim one long and one short side of the shape.

If you like, you can always refrigerate it before cutting to make it easier. I was in a rush, so I just cut them immediately.

Pop the rectangles into the fridge (on top of waxed paper so they don’t stick to the plate).

Meanwhile, melt your candy melts or white chocolate in a heat proof bowl in the microwave. I do it in 10-15 second spurts, mixing in between until smooth.

If using white chocolate, add the candy coloring to your liking.

Spoon a little bit of chocolate into each cavity. I did not show you this, but I used a toothpick and swirled in each of the little LEGO knobs (also called studs) to make certain that the chocolate filled each one.

The first time I made them, there were many chips and holes in the chocolate so you want to make sure it is as filled in as possible.

Drop a rectangle of cake into the cavity and push it down. Then spoon a little more chocolate/candy melt on top until it is filled to the top.

fill the mold

Use a knife or something with a straight edge to scrape off all excess chocolate on the mold.

Then, this is very important. Sometimes those chips and holes are caused by air bubbles.

You need to pick up the mold and drop it on the counter a few times. You will begin to see the air bubbles rise to the top of the chocolate. I might have a form of OCD, so I dropped it on the counter about 50 times. If you are also nit picky like me, you can use a toothpick to pop the bubbles out.

Place the mold into the fridge until the LEGO’s are completely hardened.

Soooo, you can make the cake pops from last week’s post. These are more challenging, but do not require a mold.

lego cake pops

..Or you can order the mold and make the process a little more simple.

LEGO cake bites

They look just like the real thing.

You probably would not have to worry about stepping on these. Most children would eat them up before ending up on the floor.

LEGO cake bites 2 cake truffles cake pops

Go ahead, take a bite

LEGO cake bites

If you have not seen how to make the cake pop versions, you can see those by clicking here.

****If you are considering posting up photos or ideas from this or any other posts I am truly happy that you are excited and find my recipes interesting enough to share with
others. Please see copyright standards in the footer (bottom) AND follow
them!!!!

Tagged with:

37 Responses to Lego Cake Pops and Cake Bites: Two Ways, Part II

1. I think you are now officially my favourite food blogger. For whatever that’s worth. If not for the perfect Lego cake pops, then for the oh-so-appropriate fear of Palin juxtaposed with amusement at the consumption of screaming heads.

I heart you!

2. Nicola Johnson says:

AMAZING! I love lego, and cake and sweets but most of all I love your blog. I MUST make the time to make some of these and trick my boyfriend with them, they look JUST like the real thing. Well done you!

3. wowwww, perfect!!! Totally perfect :)

4. This is soooo cool! haha I think I still have the legos I used to play with when I was little! :D

5. Marie says:

Love the blog!!! awesome lego photos. Would die to try the lego cake, my kid would love this. Thanks for sharing

6. Sarah says:

I Love this. It’s so fantastic, I’m beyond words.

7. Molly says:

Super awesome ideas! LOL LEGO ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT! I HEART!

8. Texas Gal says:

One of my grandsons has about a billion leggos and wants more all the time. He creates kingdoms and scenarios that have nothing to do with what is on the box. He would LOVE this for his birthday. Can’t wait. Thank you and ‘you are funny and awesome”

• Jasmin says:

@Texas Gal. LEGO’s rocked. My brother and I played together because they sold non-gender specific kits. On a side note, I may be awesome, but I am only mildly funny. Let me know how they turn out.

9. tiffany says:

Hey I have come across your blog a few times (google, Pinterest, etc) and I have this silicon lego cake pop mold. I want to make them for my son’s bday party, and have a quick question regarding how to make them… do you drop the frosting in first, then rectangles of cake, and then more frosting?

I tried them already by pushing cake into the mold, refrigerating it and it turned out like crap.

PS–I live in MN about 15 min south of Mall of America and we love love that place ;)

• Jasmin says:

@ tiffany , read the instructions. It tells you what to do with a photo of the order:
      Chocolate, cake and frosting mixture, then more chocolate. I heart mall of America.

10. Jeremy says:

The lego fail (half medieval/half modern day) is actually from Holland, not French. The sign at the right says in dutch that they are selling “soup with sausage”. The only thing that puzzles me is….who is the guy on the statue?

11. PV says:

Great idea! I want to make these for my son’s 9th BD. What is the frosting/cake ratio (a full can for a 9×13″ cake)? Does a 9×13 cake make one pan (=10 bricks) or more? Finally, how do these taste?! Can they replace a BD cake? Thx!!

• Jasmin says:

@pv, I can’t tell you the ratio of csn for cake because I typically use homemade frosting. That being said I only use a couple or so spoonfuls for an entire cake. I used a few cupcakes and made almost 20 bites. A little cake goes a long way.

12. Thank you! My son wants me to bring these to his school birthday party, and I was going to do the little debbie/smarties version, but I had no idea there were molds out there for it-phew! Will post pics and a blog post linking back to you if I’m remotely successful :)

• Jasmin says:

@sara, I’m glad you are going to try it out. Don’t forget to check out my sharing policy in the footer (bottom) of the website here let me know how they turn out.

13. Jenn says:

I made these with the help of a friend. By the 3rd set we were getting pretty good, but still having a hard time getting the bottoms flat. I still need to make some more – any suggestions for how to make the bottoms smooth?

• Jasmin says:

@Jen, are you referring to the bottoms of the chocolate? If so, pour more chocolate than needed. Then use a knife to scrape along top of mold and “clean” off excess chocolate. Make sure the chocolate is not too hot so it freezes, or gets lumpy and hard, or too cool so that it doesn’t smooth out much.

14. ashley says:

I’ve tried making these a few times. I’m having a problem when getting the cake bites out of the mold. They break into pieces :( any suggestions?? Should I use more chocolate at the bottom?

Thanks!

• Jasmin says:

@ashley, yes use more chocolate. Also, only do a few at a time and not the entire tray. Make sure your cake is not too wet with frostibg. Consider popping into freezer or fridge to harden before releasing from mold. Make certain kitchen is at a good temp and don’t forget to drop mold on counter to release air bubbles or cavities.

15. Meg says:

I have not taken this on yet but I am excited to give it a try! I do have a question though. Your colors are so vibrant but when I’ve looked at the Wilton melting candies they seem almost pastel. Once melted do they brighten up or did you add something to it? I would be worried to add food coloring for fear that it would “chunk” up the consistency. Thanks in advance for your response!!

• Jasmin says:

@Meg the colors should be close to what you see in my photos. The chips may appear duller in the bag but the hue is not pastel by any means. Try melting one chip on the microwave abd allow to cool to see how it comes out. Or let me know the name of the colors written on each bag. I can tell you if they are correct.

16. Amy D. says:

This recipe looks great….One question – do you just put the stick in after it has hardened in this version? I feel like the chocolate would crack…suggestions?

17. […]  Lego Cake Pops {Family Fun Craft} ~ Your kids might love building these lego cake pops as much as they love playing with the real […]

18. Im4paws says:

I love these and plan to make them for a birthday party this weekend. Can you give me the exact color and brand of chocolate melts you used for the blue? I have CK (Merkens) Royal Blue and CK Blue (its a much lighter blue) but neither look right. Your help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for continuing to answer questions on such an dated post. I’m new to your site but glad to have found you. Blessings!

• Jasmin says:

@Im4paws,
      Click Here for dark blue candy melts.
      Click here for dark blue candy melt coloring.

I prefer the melts over coloring as it takes more work to mix in color and it can leave an odd aftertaste.

• Im4paws says:

I prefer the melts myself but cannot find that particular color in any store around where I live. Thanks so much for your help with this. I think I’ll have to use the coloring this time but will be sure to order the ones from your link next time. :)

19. Paula says:

Thnx for all the tips! I ordered my mold last week & will be making these for my sons bday.

20. Sian says:

Hi, as I type my first few are hardening up. Super exciting! I was wondering if you knew how long they would last? I’m making a lego cake for this forthcoming Saturday and wanted to prep as much as possible beforehand.

• Jasmin says:

@Sian, They last fairly long, since the chocolate prevents air from touching the cake mixture. Store in a fridge (not TOO cold, or the chocolate will get spotty).

21. Naomi says:

Hi, I’m hoping to make some lego bricks to decorate a cake. I was going to just use candy melts alone. I haven’t used them before. Do you know how well they hold up to hot weather? The cake will have to travel in the car for a fair while (unavoidable), I don’t want it to be melted when we get there!! Thanks

• Jasmin says:

@naomi, pre AC the car and leave it running until ice cold. I would add the lego bricks to the cake once arrived at location. Using insulated coolers helps too. Really just depends on what you mean by hot. I live in TX and when it is 100 degrees I wouldn’t even bother. 90’s in the Northeast, on the other hand, could be totally doable.